Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #1 
It's been a long while since I last posted any progress and that's for a very big reason. KMBS International has a brand new terminal that opened at the end of 2012, it's state of the art design and artistic architecture mean it has some challenging features. Many of the walls are glass from floor to ceiling, meaning that to recreate the building as realistically as possible in the sim, the entire inside of the building has to be visible through these glass walls.

So KMBS features (as far as I'm aware) the very first virtual recreation of an entire airport terminal both inside and out. The whole building has been developed using onsite plans, photography and video taken during construction of the real terminal. This has resulted in the terminal being more of a virtual reality environment rather than just some scenery, you will be able to walk inside the terminal and go to check-in, ticketing, bag claim, car rental, café, security, departure lounge and gates, all as they exist in the real building.

Here is a shot of the check-in and ticketing area. More updates on this over the coming weeks.

[1] 

Director
Site Administrator

Russell Linn

Reply with quote  #2 
Dude, that's looking superb! [biggrin]

- Russ
SAR23

Reply with quote  #3 
That's a whole new standard! Awesome work!
twharrell

Reply with quote  #4 
I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this, but I would rather see more effort being placed on the part of the airport I'll see the most - the outside.  I personally have no interest spending time on the inside. Russ, you are one of the best in the business, let there be no doubt. And your interior shot above looks great. But I just don't see the point.  All my flying is done outside.  My question is: is modeling the interior going to increase the price of your airports? And how will this affect performance? OK, I know I'm going to catch flack for my opinion, so fire away.

Respectfully,

Todd
Keith

Reply with quote  #5 
Nice job Russ, Just add's to the realism in FSX. Keep up the great work.
Regards
Keith Talbot

Reply with quote  #6 
Excellent work Russ! MBS will truly be amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twharrell
I'm sure I'll be in the minority on this, but I would rather see more effort being placed on the part of the airport I'll see the most - the outside.  I personally have no interest spending time on the inside. Russ, you are one of the best in the business, let there be no doubt. And your interior shot above looks great. But I just don't see the point.  All my flying is done outside.  My question is: is modeling the interior going to increase the price of your airports? And how will this affect performance? OK, I know I'm going to catch flack for my opinion, so fire away.

Respectfully,

Todd

No need for me to fire away Todd as your entitled to your opinion and I respect that. A few points I would like to add to maybe give you something to think about. As Russ stated, many of the walls are glass from floor to ceiling. To recreate the building as realistically as possible in the sim, the interior needed to be modeled to be visible though the glass. If you think about Russ' options, he could put in some generic looking interior, or some 2D textured windows with a picture of a generic terminal interior, or the route he decided to take. For this to be a high quality airport, he went with the right choice.

I agree with your point of view about no interest in spending time inside, all of my flying is done on the outside as well. But who knows, the other guy may have a different view on that. I look at it this way, I imagine it to be very awesome to be able to pull up to the gate and actually be able to see inside while parked. Who knows, Russ may even add animated people inside the terminal. That I would find to be very immersive while clicking around the cockpit during preflight and boarding.

And I don't think you have to worry about the amount of effort that will be placed on the exterior versus the interior. I highly doubt the outside will disappoint.
Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks for the feedback,

I decided to create the entire terminal interior as from the apron you can look through the glass walls into the whole building, if this was 'faked' with a simple opaque window texture, the result would be very underwhelming. I could have done a generic basic interior, but again it would be less impressive. The whole point of WDS is to create the most realistic simming environment possible, so this approach fits the bill the most. The exterior of the building is just as detailed and faithful to the real structure, optimising for performance is key also.

Animated people will probably also feature.   

Director
Site Administrator

Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #8 
Also... for those who are concerned about this feature pushing up the price.... do not be concerned, I said when I started WDS that quality airports should be affordable to all, to that end, WDS airports will retail for less than most other major brands airports. MBS International will retail for just £15 [smile]

Director
Site Administrator

davidal

Reply with quote  #9 
Price range sounds good! Looking forward to knowing the release date...
Dan
moonman_3rd

Reply with quote  #10 
This looks simply amazing Russ!
Keep on with Your fantastic work and Thank You very much for this first preview from KMBS here!

Reply with quote  #11 

Hi,

will there a kind of ego person available/provided for investigating the interior? There was that ORBX BOB guy which I never fully succeeded to do what I asked him to, and now that I'm on Prepar3d he decided to kiss me goodbye. Or, will I have to enter the ticket area as pilot in command in an A320?

I for one would enjoy such a guy (might even be a gal) not only for investigating this specific airport but highly-detailed airports in general.

Thanks and kind regards,
Michael

jrrbolkin

Reply with quote  #12 
Stunning shot, but I have seen your work with ORBX and I  
reckon you're the best there is.[smile]
Can't wait for this and will be buying asap.
Gary
cabnz1

Reply with quote  #13 
Wow - and cool. Really looking forward to your new work Russ [smile]
Bruce Hamilton

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White
Also... for those who are concerned about this feature pushing up the price....

I don't think anyone here would complain too loudly if it did, your work with ORBX speaks for itself.  [smile]

Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Max Pilot

Reply with quote  #15 
You do well! Respect

Best regards, MAX

berg319k9

Reply with quote  #16 
Wow.......Russ, that is crazy spectacular.  Long time since I've checked in here to see what has been happening.  Good stuff brother!
Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #17 
Thanks for all your comments, I know this terminal interior development strategy has caused a very mixed reaction since it was announced at AirDailX, but I'm getting closer to showing much more, including the glass walls which will visually explaining why the inside is modelled to such a high degree of detail. It is taking a huge amount of time to create the interior, hence the low frequency of updates, but progress is being made and I hope to preview a more thorough terminal overview before too long.

Director
Site Administrator

psykie

Reply with quote  #18 
I'm REALLY Impressed.  I can't wait to purchase this airport Russ!

i7, 4770K OC to 4.5, 16GB 24000, Win 7-64 bit, with an Nvidia GTX 780Ti, FSX on an SSD.
psykie

Reply with quote  #19 
Hey Russ

Do you feel like giving a "window of time" when you might release this project or do you stay completely away from doing that?  I understand either way.

Matthew

i7, 4770K OC to 4.5, 16GB 24000, Win 7-64 bit, with an Nvidia GTX 780Ti, FSX on an SSD.
Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #20 
Thanks for your interest Matthew,

It's a difficult question to answer accurately, which is why I shy away from fixed time frames. I had hoped for a 2014 release, but the list of new features made that a bit unrealistic to achieve, so you will likely see a first quarter 2015 release.

Director
Site Administrator

psykie

Reply with quote  #21 
GREAT!  Thanks for the reply Russ.  Very much looking forward to this airport.

Matthew

psykie

Reply with quote  #22 
Hey Russ

How are things going?  How is KMBS coming along?  I hope its still coming along!  Anyways, even though I'm NOT a developer I'm sure its difficult to see  these project through.  I'm still looking forward to it.

Matthew

Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #23 
Hi Matthew, thanks for your interest. Development of KMBS has slowed this year due to a number of circumstances, but progress is still being made, albeit at a slower pace.

Director
Site Administrator

Bruce Hamilton

Reply with quote  #24 
Are we still on track for a first quarter release?

Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #25 
Probably not Bruce, I have not been able to commit much time towards WDS development in the last few months, the need for an income has had to take priority as WDS so far has been all expenditure, no return.

Director
Site Administrator

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!