Register Calendar Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
gfd

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings

I noticed in your information, that you have no plans to add any type of anti-piracy measures to your installations. I applaud that, as I have found, particularly with FS titles, that some authors go to some rather esoteric extremes to protect their product; to the point where I don't want to install it.

I for one, am happy to pay for the fruits of someone's labours and would hate to see your scenery being handed off all over the place. Perhaps you could limit your distribution to publishers who use a wrapper system: Flight1, Flightsim Store, etc. Flight1 can be cumbersome, but after jumping through a few hoops, it all works out. Flightsim Store always work. I suppose there is a price to be paid for these services, but if it means you get paid for each installation...bravo!

I hope you don't see this as instructing you. I am suggesting this only because it would be unfortunate to see you unable to maximize your revenue due to piracy. We all have to eat. Rather, I have a selfish motive. The number of authors who produce truly high quality product is quite limited. We need all we can get.

Thanks
Graham
Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #2 
Hi Graham,

Thanks for your support and your suggestions.

Regardless of the anti piracy measures included in a product, it will always be available for free from a torrent site. Many of my airports I developed for Orbx were hacked and hosted on torrent sites within hours of the airport being released, so my reasoning is that people who pirate will pirate, and people who want to buy will buy, so lets make it an effortless process for those who are buying. Indeed as you pointed out some of the online stores have their own authentication so I will see how the first airport release goes and then see if this theory needs adjusting.

Director
Site Administrator

gfd

Reply with quote  #3 
Touche
britfrog

Beta Tester
Reply with quote  #4 
This is a very complex topic , it is at times a bit like protecting your house against burglars. It is possible to make your house burglar proof, just as it is possible to safeguard software, however whether it is economically viable or not is up to the individual.  You also have to factor in the fact that a certain amount of the people out there are fed up with paying out good money for duff products, (and we have all bought some of them ) so now will try to get it free from a dubious source and if they like it they will go ahead and buy it. I would like to think  if the product is known to be good by a known name , they will go out and buy it but maybe I am naive, here's hoping Russ Makes enough sales to make it worth him continuing.

[beta tester]
Sim Version:FSX, FSX Acceleration

• Op System:Windows 7(64), Windows 8
  • CPU:I7 2600k o/c to 4.8ghz
  • GPU:MSI GTX 660TI 3gb gddr5 twin frozr
  • Ram:16gb corsair vengeance 1600 mhz
  • Mother Board:gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
  • Hard Disks:1x3tb samsung - 3x 1 tb western digital caviar black - 1 500gb hitachi
  • FSX setup for IFR, FSX setup for VFR, FSX setup for experiments, L.M.P3D Professional,

Bruce Hamilton

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by britfrog
I would like to think  if the product is known to be good by a known name , they will go out and buy it but maybe I am na├»ve

The name means nothing, just look at how many pirates show up on the ORBX forum demanding support for something they stole, and disappear when prompted for an order number... those who are prone to steal will do so regardless.

Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!