KGRR 34 13%
 KDAY 14 5%
 KFNT 18 7%
 CYXU 27 10%
 KROC 26 10%
 KSYR 21 8%
 CYOW 35 13%
 View Voters
Multiple choice poll. Total votes: 252   Please or register an account to vote.

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 3      Prev   1   2   3   Next
GlennH

Reply with quote  #26 
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvic
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc2231
Hello Russ,

Congrats on your new venture and best of luck.  What criteria do you use when selecting airports and does CYTZ fall within your criteria?

There is a freeware CYTZ in development. Also, Orbx has CYTZ as part of it's FTX Global Freeware airports.

Well, I know the developer and it is going ahead. All we need is 2 CYOW's.

EDIT: Three. Simaddons as well!!!

Well, Aerofiles as quite rightly pointed out has been talked about for years. Its still not looking any closer to release, despite the fact you know the developer.

As for Simaddons, well, its not really an option with all the 'base pack' requirements nonsense. Plus the quality is not really upto Russ's standards.

RussiaSim

Reply with quote  #27 
Dear developer! I live in Russia, why none of the leading developers of scenarios does Russian airports?? Russian Community Simmer-huge! We are willing to pay you for your work! You know how jealous when you see as the next stage ORBH produces tiny rural airport in Alaska, made with the highest quality of performance - are we worse?? Moscow, St. Petersburg, Kazan, Nizhny Novgorod! We in Russia have nowhere to fly! Once again-this scene Russian airports made with such quality - we are willing to pay!
Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #28 
I am sure there are a great number of very nice airports in Russia, and i certainly would not close the door on any future airport developments for other countries, but it would be more difficult. There are several reasons:

1- The basis of an airport product is aerial or satellite imagery for the airport area, which has to be purchased form a provider. The quality of this image data varies hugely from area to area and country to country, so some areas are just not as viable as others. Plus purchasing imagery may not be as simple as it is for the US and Canada etc.  

2- When making an airport accurately, it's incredibly helpful to have access to someone on the ground in the local area of the airport, so it helps for effeciency if both I and the people in that area speak the same language.

So while i would not say no to future airport development in other countries, there are differences to overcome so i am starting WDS in an area of the world i have development experience in.

Director
Site Administrator

Kilstorm

Reply with quote  #29 
I voted for 3 airports on the list however, like my purchasing other great addons, I will most likely buy any and all from that list if released.  So I focused on the airports that would work best for my style of flying in that area with the use of the other scenery addons I use/have which is FlyTampa stuff (present and in the works).

My only other input is to consider KOSH for aviation reasons which could also include Pioneer Airport WS17.  
britfrog

Beta Tester
Reply with quote  #30 
It seems that you have made a popular choice with this first raft of airports, there is no doubt that choosing the right airports (for financial return)  is perhaps the most difficult thing to do.
I note that you are not supporting FS9, but will you be supporting DX9 DX10 (in FSX) and DX11 9P3D)?

Do you forsee your center of your ops being in the US, in order to profit from orbx slowly covering the country or are you open to suggestions elsewhere?

I see that France vfr has teamed up with quite a lot of similar devs , so that they use  a common autogen pool is this something that you will be looking into?
Once again I wish you a great future
N

[beta tester]
Sim Version:FSX, FSX Acceleration

• Op System:Windows 7(64), Windows 8
  • CPU:I7 2600k o/c to 4.8ghz
  • GPU:MSI GTX 660TI 3gb gddr5 twin frozr
  • Ram:16gb corsair vengeance 1600 mhz
  • Mother Board:gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
  • Hard Disks:1x3tb samsung - 3x 1 tb western digital caviar black - 1 500gb hitachi
  • FSX setup for IFR, FSX setup for VFR, FSX setup for experiments, L.M.P3D Professional,

Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #31 
Thanks for your input Kilstorm,

KOSH is indeed an interesting airport with it's air show, military component and shared airspace with WS17, A definite consideration for the future.

The idea behind this current poll is to leave it running as it is until MBS is released, then use the collected results to pick the next 4 or 5 airports to develop for the Great Lakes series. After that there is every possibility that other suggested Great Lakes airports are developed, so this poll is the start, not the 'be all and end all'

Once the Great Lakes series is underway with a few releases, and providing all goes well, i will also be looking to develop another 'series' in parallel, possibly the 'North American East Coast'      

Director
Site Administrator

moonman_3rd

Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White
Thanks for your input Kilstorm,

KOSH is indeed an interesting airport with it's air show, military component and shared airspace with WS17, A definite consideration for the future.

The idea behind this current poll is to leave it running as it is until MBS is released, then use the collected results to pick the next 4 or 5 airports to develop for the Great Lakes series. After that there is every possibility that other suggested Great Lakes airports are developed, so this poll is the start, not the 'be all and end all'

Once the Great Lakes series is underway with a few releases, and providing all goes well, i will also be looking to develop another 'series' in parallel, possibly the 'North American East Coast'      

Now that sounds superb!
As for now my votes went out for CYOW, CYQT and KSYR.
But i am for sure keeping and eye on all the many great other airports listed above as well and most likely going to purchase them all when available!
And sure: The "North American East Coast" airports or whichever will follow afterwards, definitely raised my attention already as well!
Fantastic!

Reply with quote  #33 
Russ,

Loving the new site and congrats on this venture!  I'd like to second KTVC (Traverse City)!  I'd also like to suggest KPLN (Pelston Regional of Emmet County).  It will handle airliners and is in the middle of nowhere sporting 2 jetways.......LOL!

But you know I'm foaming at the mouth to talk you into creating KMCD (Mackinac Island Airport).  That airport will compliment any of the others and would accommodate small regional turbo props. 

I can't wait for these Great Lakes airports to take form!  All the best let me know if I can help with anything.
flyultimate

Reply with quote  #34 
It will be a great day when you have your first release. I am looking forward to it.

I would love to see KART, Watertown, New York. A small out of the way airport with a lot of personality and excellent FBO staff.

And, in the region, with beautiful Great Lake views, KACB, Bellaire, Michigan.

Thanks and Good Luck.

Jim
gfd

Reply with quote  #35 
Thanks for beginning this adventure. I noticed that you have Ottawa on your list. I am certain that, should you go ahead, it will be a gem. Have you considered CYHM Hamilton ON? It would be somewhat comparable to Ottawa, except it borders on the west end of Lake Ontario.

I suppose I shouldn't go here, but...oh well! Would you consider, at some point, doing regions, such as the Golden Horseshoe (Oshawa ON to Niagara Falls ON) at the west end of Lake Ontario; Windsor ON, Detroit MI, Toledo OH; etc? Much of the Great Lakes basin is poorly rendered in FS (just look at the Welland Canal...or lack of it. It is vital infrastructure and an engineering marvel).

I have no idea what is involved in creating high quality scenery. Unless I miss my guess, you are going to concentrate on projects that you can produce in my lifetime [smile] and that will compete with the best that is available from anyone.

OK...off my soapbox. You can certainly count on my support as a customer as you release your scenery. I can certainly wait, and am quite prepared to pay, for scenery done right.

I won't say good luck, we all need luck; but talent is critical and having seen your work, you are not lacking there. So I'll just say cheers!

Graham
theflyingdutchman

Reply with quote  #36 
Hey Russ, 

Awsome stuff youre doing here! Can i suggest CYKF in a future project? I did all of my flight training there a couple years back. Awsome airport with a busy flight training school, and helicopter school too. Daily Westjet and American Eagle flights. I would love to see it considered in the future! 

Cheers,
Duco
Jocko Flocko

Reply with quote  #37 
CYXU
CYOW
Anything

I would enjoy anything in this region to be honest [smile] You might want to take a look at the Bruce Peninsula directly north of CYXU in Ontario. Ontario might be a market you may want to tap into because there's absolutely *NOTHING* offered in terms of the level of quality your past and future projects offer. The Bruce Peninsula and Niagara Escarpment (a limestone feature that rises about 1800ft above the surrounding terrain) is considered one of the most beautiful areas in Canada and has been classified a UNESCO world heritage site. The entire peninsula has numerous private to medium sized air strips and the scenery surrounding them is gorgeous, especially in the fall when the leaves change color.
jomama

Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ White
The following map shows the locations and ICAO codes of airports in the Great Lakes area that are potential WDS development material based on size and other criteria. Please use the poll options above, to indicate which of these you would most be interested in. The results of this poll will be used to steer the development road map for the Great Lakes series, multiple selections are allowed. KMBS is marked in green as it is currently under development, and is there to indicate it's location relevant to the other suggested airports. Your comments, questions and suggestions are welcome below. 

[GLmap]

Anyone or all of them would be fine with me! [wink]  And if you wanted to add Chicago/O'Hare and/or KMKE, just to mention a couple, I'd buy 'em! [wink]

Thanks for asking....

Bill Alderson
ASQERJ

Reply with quote  #39 
If you guys do KATW,KGRB, I'd like to help. I have over 100+ photos of them from being there R/W. I go there everyyear.
ualbq200

Reply with quote  #40 
ROC! ROC! ROC!
FSXPilotMerton

Reply with quote  #41 
KROC!!!! This is my home airport! [biggrin] 
FlightSupreme

Reply with quote  #42 
KROC would have been great, love the runway layout, especially the GA runway look epic! [biggrin]
Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #43 
Thank you for all your votes and comments so far, there are some clear favourites emerging which will very much help to guide the development choices moving forward. More on this subject when MBS reaches completion.

Director
Site Administrator

hamoody

Reply with quote  #44 
Hi Russ. Firstly I'd like to say how incredible your work looks so far, and I will definitely be buying MBS the day it is released. As for future projects, I would like to make the case for KSAW in Marquette, Michigan, which is my hometown airport. I see that another user has already suggested it, and I believe that it fits your criteria nicely. The aircraft is capable of handling airliners (the runway is roughly 12,000 ft, and it sees regular service by regional jets, with an American Eagle maintenance base being located at the airport). It is also not a massive airport. Despite having a long runway and a well built up surrounding area, it is relatively small compared to other airports. Also, the airport has maintenance facilities, a passenger terminal, and an FBO and is not next to a huge city (the nearest being the town of Marquette, about 15 miles away). 

KSAW is a very interesting airport. It used to be a B-52 base until 1999, when it was abandoned by the Air Force. As a result, the airport is a bit of an enigma, simultaneously having only a few regional/GA flights a day while having the space required to handle the largest of aircraft. You said that it is best if you can have someone with good access to the airport, and I can provide that. I am a licensed Private Pilot, and know some people who work at the airport who would be able to give me essentially unrestricted access both landside and airside. The Upper Peninsula, unfortunately, has never had payware scenery developed for it that I am aware of. Many people tend to be unfamiliar with the area, and in fact there are people I've talked to in Lower Michigan who are surprised that we have an airport at all! But I think that by releasing KSAW you could help raise awareness among simmers of the area, and open their eyes to a new place to fly.

I'd love to hear you input on possibly developing KSAW in the future. I'm sure that you have other projects planned, perhaps even started, but I'd love if you even consider SAW for the future. Thanks!

(Also, I think I may have sent an email to you about KSAW in the past. If you received it and this is the second time you are hearing me bugging you about making my hometown airport, I apologize!)
Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #45 
Hi hamoody, thanks for your input. Indeed KSAW is an interesting airport, with even enough runway length for the shuttle to land on! I wont promise anything as WDS is not a big company, it's just me working solo, so there is a limited amount of airports I can develop in a given time, but I will bear it in mind.

Director
Site Administrator

Happywarrior

Reply with quote  #46 
I know that this is looking quite far into the future for you, but you mentioned that you may develop a series on the east coast. I was curious to know If you would consider doing an airpark (fly-in community) such as Spruce Creek in Florida? Or would this airport too need to meet the jetway criterion? Just a curious thought! [smile]
Russ White

Director
Reply with quote  #47 
The criteria for airports that I have set, is because it makes sense to cater for all types of simmers, otherwise you loose the interest from a percentage from an already small market. Therefore, I decided to concentrate on airports that can handle regular airliner traffic as well as GA. I have not ruled out certain other ideas, and indeed at the moment am toying with doing something a bit different for a future project.

The East coast series, is indeed a series I am keen to explore, but certainly initially, it will contain airports that fit my original criteria.  

Director
Site Administrator

britfrog

Beta Tester
Reply with quote  #48 
if i can add my tuppence worth,
whilst there will be a certain quantity of people who all want their local airport created, one has to look at what will be more commercially viable. Now I do not know this area at all well but when one looks at the google world pictures you can get a feel for what airport would appeal to more people , as there is a direct correlation with the real world usage. As we know there are two main groups of pilots that use FSX , there  are the airline pilots, who would also use vatsim, and there are the slow and low brigade who mostly use small a/c, ideally one needs to build an airport that attracts both parties. I think Grand Rapids certainly falls into this category as does Rochester, most of the others have hardly any sign of small a/c on the aprons , but these 3 airports are a decent flight apart for small a/c whilst being reasonably busy passenger airports.
The only other airport that has not been mentioned is Oshkosh, which is the holy grail for small a/c pilots , whilst not appealing enormously to the airline brigade there must be thousands of small a/c pilots that want to land at oshkosh during the air venture show. It would certainly keep you busy Russ programming several thousand AI small a/c [smile] yes I know it is already in FSX but it is not well done at all. FTX did a decent  enough job of Avalon and the airshow there, so why not copy them?

There are a few other airports that may attract attention, Raleigh/Durham, Philidelphia, washington DCA, but seeing as California airports are selling well what about Van Nuys? it has an amazing history?

well there is some food for thought!

[beta tester]
Sim Version:FSX, FSX Acceleration

• Op System:Windows 7(64), Windows 8
  • CPU:I7 2600k o/c to 4.8ghz
  • GPU:MSI GTX 660TI 3gb gddr5 twin frozr
  • Ram:16gb corsair vengeance 1600 mhz
  • Mother Board:gigabyte Z68A-D3H-B3
  • Hard Disks:1x3tb samsung - 3x 1 tb western digital caviar black - 1 500gb hitachi
  • FSX setup for IFR, FSX setup for VFR, FSX setup for experiments, L.M.P3D Professional,

psykie

Reply with quote  #49 
I Agree Russ and Britfrog

I do like the medium to smaller County airports that take on smaller airliner traffic GA and bizz jets.   I REALLY like the smaller-medium sized airports.  Let Fly Tampa, FlightBeam, and FSDT do the Big Hubby airports.  I'm a Bizz Jet flyer which is really a minority in the Simming world since Bizz-jets just aren't supported like the low and slow and the high and fast commercial airliners.  Anyways, that's my food for thought.  That's also why I'm excited about KMBS.  This is the size I'm talking about.  The regional-county airports.  Since the big Hubby airports eat up frames.

Matthew 

i7, 4770K OC to 4.5, 16GB 24000, Win 7-64 bit, with an Nvidia GTX 780Ti, FSX on an SSD.
Byron McDuffy

Reply with quote  #50 
Any of these airports you chose to work on will be stellar. You do great work. Have you considered a couple of airports along the north shore - ie Thunderbay, Sault St. Marie, North Bay etc ( would make me extremely happy ) as well as the Oshkosh request below. Whatever you decide will be great.
Have you considered a Startup project funding? From what I've seen, they can generate a lot of cash in a hurry and would give you more time to devote to this project. If you do you have my dollars immediately.
Good luck with all this and looking forward to the first release.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!